This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

List entry Number: 1256639

Location

LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, SKELDERGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464715

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051SW SKELDERGATE 1112-1/21/914 (South West side) 14/06/54 Lady Anne Middleton's Hotel and attached garden walls (Formerly Listed as: SKELDERGATE Middleton's Hospital)

GV II*

Formerly known as: The Ann Middleton Hospital SKELDERGATE. Hospital, now hotel: wall and gate attached to north-east corner bounding north side of front garden; wall attached to north-west corner, now incorporated into hotel sun-lounge. Walls form south-east side of Carr's Lane. Hospital dated 1829; renovated and altered 1973. By Peter Atkinson for The Corporation of York as Trustees. MATERIALS: pink mottled brick in Flemish bond on ashlar plinth, with window arches of orange-red gauged brick; ashlar doorcase and frontispiece, timber eaves cornice; 8 brick stacks to hipped roof of Welsh slate. Garden walls of red and dark brick, part in English garden-wall bond, part in random bond; stone coping. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 7-bay front, 3 centre bays pedimented and projecting slightly. 2 wide steps to central doorcase with flat cornice hood on brackets and door of 8 raised and fielded panels in plain architrave. First floor centre bay has hemispherical niche in round-headed architrave between volutes carved with anthemion, which contains painted carved figure of the Foundress in Puritan dress. All windows are 16-pane sashes with painted stone sills beneath flat arches of gauged brick, those on ground floor recessed in blind panels. Modillion eaves cornice, and plain cornice to pediment. Datestone in pediment inscribed: "THIS HOSPITAL/ WAS BUILT AT THE/ EXPENSE OF THE CORPORATION/ OF YORK ANNO 1829/ THE RIGHT HONble JOHN DALES/ LORD MAYOR/ WILLm HOTHAM ESQr./ GEO PEACOCK ESQr. WARDENS/ ISAAC SPENCER ESQr." Rear: 16-pane sash windows. Paired modillion eaves cornice. Original rainwater goods survive, with fluted bowl hoppers. INTERIOR: cantilevered staircase with stone treads, hollow-sided stick balusters, and ramped-up wrought-iron handrail, wreathed at foot round column newel on shaped curtail step. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: garden walls approximately 1.75 metres high, stepped- and ramped-up to 2.0 metres approximately, following slope of Carr's Lane. Part in front of building interrupted by garden gate of railings with arrowhead tips; part to rear incorporating segment-arched opening with boarded door. Tooled flat coping. HISTORICAL NOTE: Middleton's Hospital was founded in 1659, by Mrs Anne Middleton, widow of Peter Middleton (Sheriff of York

in 1618). The carved figure of the Foundress over the door of the present building may survive from the original hospital. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 51).



Listing NGR: SE6019551410

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 51

National Grid Reference: SE 60195 51410

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256639 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:47:02.

End of official listing