5, ALBION PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256656

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: 5, ALBION PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 5, ALBION PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:35:14.

Location

Statutory Address: 5, ALBION PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30146 33612

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW ALBION PLACE 714-1/76/5 (North side) 26/09/63 No.5 (Formerly Listed as: ALBION PLACE (North side) No.5 Church Institute)

GV II

Church institute, now shops. 1866-68, converted c1982. By Richard Adams and John Kelly. Polychrome brick with ashlar dressings and stone ornament, steeply-pitched slate gabled roof with ornate octagonal ventilator and spire. Gothic Revival style. Corner site with Lands Lane, 2 storeys and basement. South front: gabled porch incorporates flanking buttresses; 5 gables each with a tall Decorated window and buttresses between, stone tracery and dressings. Ground floor: projecting c1980 apsidal shop windows set within remodelled openings (formerly segmentally arched). Right return (to Lands Lane): huge traceried Gothic window and flanking panels. Richard Adams' earliest known Leeds building; he was architect to the Leeds School Board from 1873, designed several churches, d.1883; his practice was continued by his partner, John Kelly. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Church Institute and Sunday School Association was established in 1857 to unite churchmen in an endeavour to extend religious and secular knowledge. The original interior contained a lecture hall for 700-800 persons, seating for tea meetings for 250-300, and a reading room and library of 10,000 volumes. Wall frescoes represented St Oswald planting the cross, St Gregory, St Augustine and medallions of the saints and ecclesiastical banners were suspended from the roof. Exterior and interior illustrated in The Builder. (Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1899-: 21; The Builder).



Listing NGR: SE3014633612

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464687

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1899), 21

End of official listing