Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256680.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Dec-2021 at 17:54:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 60477 51846



SE6051NW SHAMBLES 1112-1/28/1111 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.19


House, now shop. Front block probably early C16; refronted and rear extension built in early C18; C19 alteration, C20 renovation and shopfront. Front block timber-framed, refronted in buff-orange brick in Flemish bond with dressings of orange brick, rear in random bond; brick stack to pantile roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. In shopfront, small- pane glazed doors flank similarly glazed shop window. First and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes, taller on first floor, with painted sills and flat arches of gauged brick. Raised brick band to both floors, and above second floor windows. Rear: 3 storeys and attic; 3-window gable wall; ground floor masked by later extension. 12-pane sash windows on first and second floors have segmental brick arches; attic window is unequal 9-pane sash. Raised brick bands. Left return: timber-framing exposed on second floor above adjacent building. INTERIOR: ground floor front room has some exposed timber-framing and remains of corbelled-out brick chimney hood. Light well, now converted to office, retains window openings in moulded brick surrounds. Rear room has ogee-stopped quarter round moulded beams and joists. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 215-16).

Listing NGR: SE6047751846


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 215-216


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05208/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

User contributions are not fact checked and do not represent the official position of Historic England.

Request a correction of the list entry

Read the Enriching the List Terms and Conditions

For any other issue or if you need help, please email: [email protected]

Upcoming maintenance

Enriching The List will be unavailable on 7 & 8 December to allow us to prepare for the launch of an upgraded version.