This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LADY HEWLEYS ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LADY HEWLEYS ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1256696

Location

14, ST SAVIOURGATE
LADY HEWLEYS ALMSHOUSES, 1, ST SAVIOURGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464635

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE ST SAVIOURGATE 1112-1/17/983 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.14 (Formerly Listed as: ST SAVIOURGATE No.14 and Lady Hewley's Almshouses (Nos.1-11 consec & No.8A))

GV II

Includes: Lady Hewley's Almshouses No.1 ST SAVIOURGATE. Warden's house to almshouses; attached gates, gate piers and railings forming entrance and south-western boundary to gardens surrounding the almshouses (qv). 1840, with C20 extension. By JB Pritchett for the Trustees of Lady Hewley's Charity. House of tooled ashlar on ashlar plinth; slate roof with moulded stone coping and shaped kneelers. Cast-iron gates and railings; stone gate piers. EXTERIOR: house front 2 storeys, 3 bays, centre bay gabled; 1-storey extension to right. Centre bay has board double doors and 2-light window with pointed 6- on 4-pane hung sashes on first floor, both in openings with 4-centred heads. Windows on both floors of flanking bays are mullioned and square-headed with paired 8-pane sashes, those on ground floor taller. All openings are double chamfered and have coved hoodmoulds. Chamfered eaves course. Left return to St Saviourgate: 2-storey gable wall. Ground floor window as on main front. First floor opening blocked by reset tablet recording original foundation of Lady Hewley's Hospital in Tanner Row in 1700. Below is inscribed stone recording rebuilding of the Hospital in 1840. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: gate piers approximately 1.5 metres high, with domed heads, flank double gates of square section railings with Tudor flower finials. Railings of similar design raised on low wall with chamfered coping. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 96).



Listing NGR: SE6061251914

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 96

National Grid Reference: SE 60612 51914

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256696 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 04:14:07.

End of official listing