This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR AND ATTACHED GATES AND RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR AND ATTACHED GATES AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1256707

Location

CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR AND ATTACHED GATES AND RAILINGS, ST SAVIOURGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464646

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE ST SAVIOURGATE 1112-1/17/994 (South East side) 14/06/54 Church of St Saviour and attached gates and railings (Formerly Listed as: ST SAVIOURGATE Church of St Saviour) (Formerly Listed as: ST SAVIOURGATE Railings to north-west and north-east sides of Church of St Saviour)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Church of St Saviour-in-the-Marshes ST SAVIOURGATE. Parish church, now educational resource centre; attached railings and gates forming northern and western boundaries of former churchyard. C15 arcades and west end; north and south aisles rebuilt 1844-45; vestry of 1878. Church made redundant in 1954 and converted to present use in 1991. C19 rebuilding by RH Sharp with vestry by WG Penty. MATERIALS: magnesian limestone with re-used gritstone plinth to north side; tiled roofs. PLAN: aisled continuous 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave with south vestry and west tower. EXTERIOR: triple-gabled east end has partly blocked chancel window of 5 cinquefoil headed lights and 3 tiers of panel tracery in double chamfered opening; aisles windows are of 3 trefoil-headed lights with reticulated tracery: all windows have 2-centred heads and hollow chamfered hoods. Round-arched doorway with C20 board door to north of chancel window. On north side, moulded and hollow chamfered doorway in western bay has double doors of trefoiled panels in 4-centred head, beneath coved hoodmould on defaced shield stops: square-headed window of 2 trefoiled lights over door. North and south sides have 2-stage buttresses between pointed windows of 3 double transomed and trefoiled lights with panel tracery and hollow chamfered hoodmoulds. Both sides have moulded eaves courses. On south side, gabled projecting vestry in western bay has 2-centred doorway and square-headed window of 2 trefoiled lights. At west end, 3-stage buttressed tower has double transomed west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights and panel tracery, beneath coved hoodmould. Second stage has 2-light panel-traceried window deeply recessed in 4-centred opening in west face. Belfry openings are of 3 louvred lights in 4-centred heads. Shallow extruded staircase on south face lit by glazed slit lights. Coved strings to belfry and embattled parapet. Gabled aisles have panel-traceried windows of 3 trefoiled lights, that in north aisle above square-headed

window of 3 trefoiled lights. INTERIOR: north and south arcades of five pointed double chamfered and broach-stopped arches on octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals. Tower arch of two hollow chamfered orders with hoodmould dies into semi-octagonal responds. North of east window, former vestry door has chamfered 2-centred rere-arch: to south is piscina recess with trefoiled ogee-arched canopy. Tower stair has chamfered doorway with 4-centred head and plank door: second stage floor carried on reset C12 grotesque corbels. In tower, two illegible plank boards in ogee-headed surrounds with crocketed finials and fluted sills. C15 roofs to chancel and nave said to survive above C19 ceilings. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: diagonally set square section railings and standards with fig-shaped and spike finials respectively; two pedestrian gates of similar design. Railings listed on 24/06/83. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 46-49).



Listing NGR: SE6059051890

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 46-49

National Grid Reference: SE 60590 51890

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 01:23:03.

End of official listing