RAILINGS, GATE PIERS AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF UNITARIAN CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256711
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
RAILINGS, GATE PIERS AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF UNITARIAN CHAPEL, ST SAVIOURGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAILINGS, GATE PIERS AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF UNITARIAN CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:27:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAILINGS, GATE PIERS AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF UNITARIAN CHAPEL, ST SAVIOURGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60633 51959

Details

YORK

SE6051NE ST SAVIOURGATE 1112-1/17/997 (North West side) 24/06/83 Railings, gate piers and gates approx 10m to south-east of Unitarian Chapel

GV II

Wall, railings, gates and gates piers forming south-eastern boundary of churchyard of St Saviourgate Unitarian Chapel (qv). 1851. By John Walker of the Walker Foundry, Walmgate. Wall of red brick in Flemish bond with stone coping; gates, gate piers and railings of cast-iron. Wall is approximately 0.5 metres high with cambered coping. Openwork gate piers are square on plan with shallow pyramidal caps, and incorporate crossed bars separated by Greek key bands. Railings have pointed tips, standards mace-head finials, and gate stiles anthemion finials. (York Historian: Malden J: The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c.1825-1923: York: 1976-: 43; PLATE 8).



Listing NGR: SE6063351959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464650
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, J, 'York Historian' in The Walker Iron Foundry York Circa 1825-1923, (1976), 43 PLATE 8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02755/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].