This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BASE OF OLD MARKET CROSS APPROXIMATELY 8 METRES NORTH EAST OF ST LEONARDS TOWER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BASE OF OLD MARKET CROSS APPROXIMATELY 8 METRES NORTH EAST OF ST LEONARDS TOWER

List entry Number: 1256726

Location

BASE OF OLD MARKET CROSS APPROXIMATELY 8 METRES NORTH EAST OF ST LEONARDS TOWER, WOLBOROUGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464618

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8571SE WOLBOROUGH STREET 1012-1/13/160 Base of old Market Cross approx 8 16/07/49 metres north-east of St Leonard's Tower (Formerly Listed as: WOLBOROUGH STREET Base of old Market Cross)

GV II

Base of old market cross approx 8m north-east of St Leonard's Tower. Reported to be medieval, but probably C17. Stepped octagonal granite base approx one metre high and 2m across, with a shallow pointed cap. An inscription carved into the north-east side reads: "THE FIRST DECLARATION OF WILLIAM PRINCE OF ORANGE THE GLORIOUS DEFENDER OF THE LIBERTIES OF ENGLAND WAS READ ON THIS PEDESTAL BY THE REV JOHN REYNEL RECTOR OF THIS PARISH ON 5 NOVEMBER 1688." (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 592).





Listing NGR: SX8580371204

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 592

National Grid Reference: SX 85803 71204

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 02:30:51.

End of official listing