THE THREE CRANES PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256733
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
THE THREE CRANES PUBLIC HOUSE, 11, ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE THREE CRANES PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 16:51:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE THREE CRANES PUBLIC HOUSE, 11, ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE6035151915

Details

SE6051NW 1112-1/28/974

YORK ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE (North East side) No.11 The Three Cranes Public House

GV II

Public house. Mid C18 with late C19 alteration; refurbished 1933. Ground floor of timber and glazed tiles, upper floors rough cast and colour washed with painted chamfered quoins and moulded eaves frieze; rear wing of orange-black brick of indeterminate bond; rebuilt brick stack to Westmorland slate roof. PLAN: central-entry with rear wing. EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 2-window front. Inn front on ground floor framed in timber pilasters beneath narrow frieze and cornice. Passage arch at left end, and panelled door in centre, between 3-light segment-headed windows with moulded sills. Upper floor windows are 4-pane sashes in raised architraves with moulded sills. Between first floor windows is glazed tile panel depicting the Three Cranes, in moulded surround with semicircular head. Rear wing: most openings altered, but one 16-pane sash with moulded sill survives. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 207).

Listing NGR: SE6035151915

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464626
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 207

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05478/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].