DE GREY HOUSE AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS, GATE AND LAMP STANDARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256764

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: DE GREY HOUSE AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS, GATE AND LAMP STANDARD, ST LEONARDS PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DE GREY HOUSE AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS, GATE AND LAMP STANDARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256764 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 17:22:22.

Location

Statutory Address: DE GREY HOUSE AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS, GATE AND LAMP STANDARD, ST LEONARDS PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60116 52185

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW ST LEONARD'S PLACE 1112-1/27/944 (East side) 01/07/68 De Grey House and attached front railings, gate and lamp standard (Formerly Listed as: ST LEONARD'S PLACE De Grey Rooms, de Grey House and railings)

GV II*

Formerly known as: De Grey Rooms, including railings and The Conservative Club ST LEONARD'S PLACE. House with attached area railings, gate and gas lamp standard; now offices. 1835 with extension of 1910. By PF Robinson and GT Andrews for William Blanshard. MATERIALS: front and right side in white painted Roman cement with slate mansard roof, painted stacks and flat dormer with 2-light Yorkshire sash: extension of orange-cream brick in English garden-wall bond with faience dressings, pantile roof and brick stacks. Cast-iron railings on low stone coping. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, basement and attics; 3-bay front. Basement has one blocked window and one 12-pane sash with painted sill. Area spanned by flat bridge to pilaster and entablature doorcase with moulded cornice and front door of 4 sunk panels beneath bordered overlight. On first floor, 12-pane sash windows have moulded sill band, on second floor squatter windows have moulded sills. Broad first floor band and heavy moulded cornice over fasciated eaves frieze, returned across right side. Right side: 3-storey 4-bay return front: 2-storey 8-bay extension to right. Right return detailed as main front. Extension has glazed and panelled door with small-pane overlight and 12-pane sash windows. All openings have cambered arches with keyblocks; windows on ground floor have moulded sills, on first floor moulded sillstring. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record original fittings including first floor front room with enriched cornice and sunk-panelled fireplace; other fireplaces of marble; moulded cornices on ground and first floors, coved cornices on second floor; and staircase with cast-iron balustrade. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings have mushroom finials, mace standards and bracing to ground floor wall. Gas lamp standard has openwork shaft, crossbar and 4-sided tapered lantern. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 204).

Listing NGR: SE6011652185

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464565

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 204

End of official listing