CHURCH OF ST ANDREW EVANGELICAL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256792

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, EVANGELICAL CHURCH, ST ANDREWGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW EVANGELICAL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:40:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, EVANGELICAL CHURCH, ST ANDREWGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60567 52034

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SE ST ANDREWGATE 1112-1/14/933 (South East side) 14/06/54 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW Evangelical Church (Formerly Listed as: ST ANDREWGATE St Andrew's Hall)

II*

Formerly known as: Church of St Andrew ST ANDREWGATE. Parish church, now non-denominational church. C15 nave with early C19 extension on site of late C14 former chancel: C20 renovation. MATERIALS: reused Roman gritstone and magnesian limestone, with brick blocking; rebuilt and patched with various brick mostly in stretcher or random bond; pantile roof with inserted half-hipped dormers on both sides of chancel/ extension. PLAN: 4-bay nave and chancel; west bell turret. EXTERIOR: former chancel on chamfered plinth. East end has blocked doorway to south and two 12-pane windows with painted stone sill. On north side, original window opening with splayed reveals has inserted 16-pane sash. South side has C20 door and 2 windows. Nave has moulded plinth. On north side, two square-headed windows beneath decayed hoodmoulds, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with mouchette tracery in the head, one part original, one completely renewed: towards west end, blocked doorway in chamfered 2-centred arch, blocked with brick. Openings on south much altered; C20 windows and door beneath timber lintel. West end has C20 cross window in rebuilt gable, above blocked former window. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original tie beams to roof and remnants of timber-framed bell turret at west end. HISTORICAL NOTE: Church of St Andrew was first mentioned in 1194. It was redundant by 1586, when the parish was united with St Saviour's, and used for a variety of secular purposes until late C20. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 10).



Listing NGR: SE6056752034

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464550

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 10

End of official listing