3, ST HELENS SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256797
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1974
Statutory Address:
3, ST HELENS SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 3, ST HELENS SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256797.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 04:26:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
3, ST HELENS SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60134 51994

Details

YORK

SE6051NW ST HELEN'S SQUARE 1112-1/28/937 (North West side) 05/12/74 No.3

GV II

Shop and restaurant; now shop and offices. 1922 with later alteration. By Lewis Wade for Terry's of York. Ashlar sandstone, with bronze framed shopfront and windows and shallow pitched roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 3-bay front, articulated in giant Corinthian columns carrying frieze and moulded modillion cornice beneath attic: attic divided by pilasters supporting moulded eaves cornice. Entrance at right end, through margin glazed double doors with overlight above, in pilastered doorcase. Shop windows are cantilevered canted bays, with concave side lights and slender Ionic colonnette mullions; above are semicircular pivoting overlights in keyed round arches behind fanlight grilles. First floor windows are small-paned French doors in eared architraves, opening on to projecting balconies with geometric balustrades. Windows in attic are small-pane casements with leaded quarries, in eared architraves beneath pulvinated friezes and pediment hoods, the centre one segmental. Frieze beneath first floor cornice, over centre bay, inscribed 'TERRY'. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE6013451994

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464555
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05478/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].