5, ST HELENS SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256798
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
5, ST HELENS SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 5, ST HELENS SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256798 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 20:08:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
5, ST HELENS SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60153 51979

Details

YORK

SE6051NW ST HELEN'S SQUARE 1112-1/28/938 (North West side) 01/07/68 No.5 (Formerly Listed as: ST HELEN'S SQUARE No.5 The York County Savings Bank)

GV II

Bank. 1829-30; extended 1924; ground floor altered 1991. By Messrs. Watson, Pritchett and Watson for the York County Savings Bank. Brick faced with sandstone ashlar, ground floor rusticated on horizontally ribbed basement; shallow pitched slate roof with stacks of brick faced with ashlar. EXTERIOR: 2 storey front, 1 and half bays to St Helen's Square, 3 and half bays to Blake Street on either side of curved corner bay; half bays flank corner bay. Extension of 3 low storeys and 3 bays at right end of Blake Street front. Corner bay entrance has double doors of shaped panels, with Doric column jambs and shaped overlight above, in tall architrave beneath segmental hoodmould on moulded brackets: doors are recessed behind folding ironwork gates, and overlight has scrolled grille. Overlight transom inscribed 'SAVINGS BANK'. First floor is articulated by fluted Composite columns and plain pilasters supporting entablature with plain frieze and moulded cornice. Windows on both floors are 1-pane sashes, those on first floor with semicircular fanlights inset in round-headed openings, and with architraves and transoms enriched with incised Greek key ornament. Corner bay crowned with shaped pediment of volutes framing a panel with words 'SAVINGS BANK' carved in low relief. Blake Street extension has subsidiary door of fielded panels in pedimented doorcase at right end. Ground floor windows are margin glazed: first and second floor windows treated as single element, to match those of original building, but with wider transom. At right end of cornice is rectangular rainwater head dated 1924. INTERIOR: former boardroom on first floor, now subdivided: 3 bays articulated by Corinthian pilasters, with blind arcade of round arches opposite windows in round-arched architraves. Panelled double doors. Ceiling coffered by beams enriched with oak-leaf and acorn decoration. Room in extension has reset fireplace with composition ornament of urns, garlands, rinceaux and drops. (Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 86; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 203).



Listing NGR: SE6015351979

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464556
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 203
Murray, H, Riddick, S, Green, R, York Through the Eyes of the Artist, (1990), 86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05478/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].