Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256857.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 03:41:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 59945 51493



SE5951SE PRIORY STREET 1112-1/20/891 (North East side) 24/06/83 Priory Street Sports and Community Centre (Formerly Listed as: PRIORY STREET Priory Street Sports Centre)


Shown on OS map as Central College of Further Education. Priory Street Wesleyan School, now community centre. 1858, with later alteration and extension. By James Simpson of Leeds. Pink-cream mottled brick in English garden-wall bond; ashlar plinth and dressings; slate roof with brick stacks. Extension of similar brick with orange brick banding and slate roof. EXTERIOR: 1-storey front; three pedimented blocks, end ones boldly projecting, centre one breaking forward slightly, of 4:3:4 bays respectively, linked by 2-bay ranges. Extension set back at right end. Entrances altered; present doors in linking ranges and in returns to projecting end wings. Original central entrance in centre block altered to tall 3-light window with 6-pane sashes in plain ashlar surround with moulded cornice hood. Flanking windows, and those in link ranges, are 18-pane segment-headed sashes in keyed eared and shouldered architraves with ashlar sills on sill blocks. Windows in end blocks are round-headed radial-glazed sashes beneath keyed moulded archivolts on continuous moulded imposts over acanthus label-stops; sill band on sill blocks. Moulded cornices to eaves and to pediments: pediment of centre block encloses blind circular panel in shaped surround with moulded semicircular archivolt. Extension to right linked to main building by entrance bay with panelled double doors beneath divided overlight: gabled classroom block has 3-light segment-arched window with moulded mullions and transoms and sashes. Rear of main building: window types in end blocks repeat those of main front without architraves but with plain brick arches. 4-course raised brick eaves band with brick dentils across centre range continues on returns of end blocks. Left return: 7 round headed radial glazed sash windows with painted stone sills and gauged brick arches. Eaves band as at rear. INTERIOR: of main building: rooms have coffered ceilings with chamfer stopped beams carried on shaped brackets and inverted bell-shaped bosses at the intersections. In most rooms some dado panelling, rails and picture rails survive. In entrance hall is copper wall monument commemorating the "Sons of this School" who lost their lives in the 1914-1918 War. (Murray H: Nathaniel Whittock's Bird's-eye View of the City of York in 1850: York: 1988-: 38; Pace GG: Bishophill: York:

York: 1974-: 5, 25).

Listing NGR: SE5994851489


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Murray, H, Nathaniel Whittocks Birds Eye View of the City of York in 1850, (1988), 38
Pace, G G, York, (1974), 25


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/04547/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].