CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ADJOINING PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256858

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ADJOINING PRESBYTERY, 76, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ADJOINING PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 13:56:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ADJOINING PRESBYTERY, 76, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Grid Reference: SX 86404 71333

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8671 QUEEN STREET 1012-1/9/111 (South side) 22/03/83 No.76 Church of St Joseph and adjoining presbytery

GV II

Roman Catholic Church. 1915. By Scoles and Raymond. MATERIALS: polygonal coursed Devon limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, steeply-pitched slate roof. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: aisled. EXTERIOR: tall gabled north, street, facade to the church has tall flanking octagonal turrets with gabled and panelled facets to tops; stone cross to the apex and a triple niche with a statue to the centre over a 6-cusped circular window. 5 equal trefoil-headed lancets rest on a sill band above double planked doors and a gold mosaic tympanum to a moulded pointed arch with colonettes. A hoodmould to the arch continues over similar 2-light windows flanking the door. The sill band continues below parapets to castellated single-storey canted wings to each side which have continuous hoodmoulds over a trefoil-headed window to each facet of the left-hand wing and a 2-light Decorated style window to the front of the right-hand wing. PRESBYTERY to left has an external stack to the left gable end and a left-of-centre ridge stack. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Moulded kneelers coping of gable ends, a central forward-facing gable and a small half dormer to the left. Horizontal glazing bars to 2/2-pane sash windows, those to the first floor with shallow pointed arches, those to the ground floor with shouldered arches. Windows to the central gable and ground-floor left are under relieving arches. The range to the left attached to the church is C20 with flat arches to paired windows and a C20 door to the right of the central gable. INTERIOR: not inspected but reported as having plain fittings and Perpendicular-style arcades. A remarkably conservative example of a church in this almost pre-Ecclesiological style. (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 587).





Listing NGR: SX8640471333

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464490

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 587

End of official listing