57 AND 59, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256875
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1996
Statutory Address:
57 AND 59, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 57 AND 59, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 03:05:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
57 AND 59, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Maldon
National Grid Reference:
TL 85037 07049

Details

MALDON

TL8507SW HIGH STREET 574-1/7/86 (North side) Nos.57 AND 59

GV II

Two shops. 1892. Red English-bond brick with orange terracotta dressings; machine-made plain tile roof with decorative ridge tiles. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 2-window range. Elaborate moulded cornice/parapet with terracotta egg-and-dart and swags. Thin flanking pilasters with panels frame 1st and 2nd floors terminated by urn finials on parapet. The 2nd floor has 2 pairs of plain sash windows with terracotta architraves and the headings are swept up to terracotta keystones with foliate panels. Central terracotta panel inscribed: 'B 1892'. 1st floor has 2 canted bay windows with hipped roofs of scalloped plain tiles and dentilled cornices; casement windows with square glazed panels over transoms with pattern of glazing bars; boldly moulded painted stone sills. Ground floor has painted stone dentilled cornice, continuous C19 fascia with end consoles over Corinthian stone pilasters, part fluted, part panelled. Central alley between 2 high quality contemporary shop fronts which have decorative patterned glazing over transoms. INTERIOR: not inspected.



Listing NGR: TL8503707049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464465
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08984/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].