Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256878.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 03:00:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Maldon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 85046 07018



TL8507SW HIGH STREET 574-1/7/87 (South side) 24/09/71 No.58


Shop. 1883. Red English-bond brick with terracotta dressings; hipped machine-made plain tile roof with decorative ridge and tall ridge finials and articulated stack on east flank. Queen Anne style. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; symmetrical 3-bay range. Elevation of wide central bay and narrower flanking bays framed over 1st and 2nd storeys with giant pilasters. The attic has a shaped gable above eaves line terminating in a simplified brick pediment and square window patterned by glazing bars and coloured glass. The central bay has, on its 2nd floor, 2 sash windows with the upper sash divided into 4 parts with coloured glass. These have linking stone sill, terracotta keystone and arches with carved shaped soffits. The 1st floor has a canted bay window, with hipped scalloped plain tile roof and casement windows with coloured glass panels over transom. The 2nd floor of side bays have similar but wider sash windows with apron and sunflower motif; 1st floor is similar but windows are casements as central bay. Shop front in process of alteration/reconstruction at time of survey. Stack to east flank has terracotta date plaque: 1883. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: TL8504607018


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11019/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].