NUMBERS 11 AND 13 AND ATTACHED GARDEN GATES AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256880
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 11 AND 13 AND ATTACHED GARDEN GATES AND RAILINGS, 11 AND 13, PRIORY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 11 AND 13 AND ATTACHED GARDEN GATES AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256880.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 23:11:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 11 AND 13 AND ATTACHED GARDEN GATES AND RAILINGS, 11 AND 13, PRIORY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59915 51520

Details

YORK

SE5951NE PRIORY STREET 1112-1/15/883 (North East side) 24/06/83 Nos.11 AND 13 and attached garden gates and railings

GV II

House and cottage attached, with garden wall, railings and gates attached. 1858. By James Simpson of Leeds. MATERIALS: grey-cream mottled brick in English garden-wall bond; ashlar door- and window-cases, dressings and cornice; slate roof with stone coping and brick stacks. Garden wall of brick with chamfered stone coping, cast-iron railings and garden gates. EXTERIOR: 2-storey, 5-window front. Both houses have renewed panelled front doors beneath segment-headed overlights: No.11 has shouldered architrave with keyblock, and No.13 has pilastered doorcase with moulded imposts, stilted segmental arch with keyblock, and moulded cornice hood. Windows are segment-headed 4-pane sashes in keyed eared and shouldered architraves, with painted stone sills on ground floor. First floor windows have sill band on block brackets, and intermediate windows are narrower than end and centre ones. Moulded eaves cornice returns at each end. Rear: three parallel gabled wings with 12-pane sash windows with painted stone sills and brick arches. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: low garden wall surmounted by turned railings with fleur-de-lys tips and standards with ball finials. The house and cottage were provided for the Headmaster and the Chapel-keeper of the adjacent Wesleyan Methodist school, now Priory Street Sports and Community Centre (qv) and chapel, now Assembly of God Pentecostal Church (qv) respectively. (Murray H: Nathaniel Whittock's Birds'-eye View of the City of York in 1850: York: 1988-: 38).

Listing NGR: SE5991851519

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464470
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Murray, H, Nathaniel Whittocks Birds Eye View of the City of York in 1850, (1988), 38

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06109/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].