LIBERAL CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256890
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
LIBERAL CLUB, 7, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIBERAL CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256890 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:40:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
LIBERAL CLUB, 7, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 85802 71345

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8571SE MARKET STREET 1012-1/13/95 (North West side) 22/03/83 No.7 Liberal Club

GV II

Purpose-built Liberal Club house incorporating a separate office. Dated 1913. MATERIALS: incised stucco, painted freestone dressings, hipped slate roof with a moulded stack to the rear of the left return. STYLE: Italianate (Venetian Palazzo) style. PLAN: double-depth. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; symmetrical 5-window range. Elaborate returned modillion cornice with egg-and-dart frieze; moulded lintel strings to each floor; plate-glass sash windows to the second floor; cross windows to the first floor. The first-floor terminal windows have cartouche-scroll friezes and cornices formed by the stepped-forward lintel string; piano nobile has three cross windows behind a triple arcade supported by paired Ionic columns on a stone balustrade, the centre is stepped forward on brackets. Banded rustication to the ground floor; to the left is a hood on large moulded brackets over double 3-panel doors and a 3-pane overlight; the separate office has a tripartite plate-glass sash window to the right and a half-glazed door with a 3-pane overlight to the inside right. INTERIOR: not inspected. A distinguished but remarkably conservative facade for its date.







Listing NGR: SX8580271345

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464438
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04475/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Julia K Rich. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].