ALEXANDRA THEATRE AND MARKET HALL TO THE REAR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256893
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Dec-1996
Statutory Address:
ALEXANDRA THEATRE AND MARKET HALL TO THE REAR, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALEXANDRA THEATRE AND MARKET HALL TO THE REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 04:37:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALEXANDRA THEATRE AND MARKET HALL TO THE REAR, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 85869 71367

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8571SE MARKET STREET 1012-1/13/98 (East side) 06/06/72 Alexandra Theatre and Market Hall to the rear (Formerly Listed as: MARKET STREET Alexandra Theatre)

GV II

Former corn exchange, now a cinema. Dated 1871. By John Chudleigh. MATERIALS: squared Devon limestone and stucco with some freestone dressings, slate roof and moulded stack to the rear of left return. PLAN: rectangular plan with projecting west tower and infilled angles. ALEXANDRA THEATRE EXTERIOR: an Italianate palazzo style central projecting belvedere tower in 3 stages has wide eaves and a modillion cornice to a shallow-pitched pyramidal roof. Freestone impost and sill bands to paired semicircular-arched windows, blind to the front, in the upper stage, the second stage has a semicircular-arched recess containing a hood mould with foliate stops over a circular window. A panel below with a rich dentil cornice reads "Erected 1871". The rusticated semicircular entrance arch below has chamfered jambs. The angles between the tower and the main block have curved stucco infills with cornices to the ground floor and square stucco infills to the first floor, both possibly later additions. The 5-bay exchange, articulated by plain pilasters, has an eaves band and plinth forming recesses with blind semicircular-arched windows with continuous sill bands. The ridge has two C20 cylindrical vents with conical tops. INTERIOR: not inspected. MARKET HALL EXTERIOR: attached to the rear is similar in style to Alexandra Theatre. INTERIOR: 6-bays with cast-iron columns approx 10m high, with wrought-iron ties and wooden principals; aisle posts are connected by arcade rails to each side forming semicircular arches with diminishing circles to the spandrels. The sloping ceilings to the aisles have diagonal planking and 4 purlins; a clerestory above the aisles has 6 square windows between each column; the central apex has 6 purlins to each side with various thin metal ties. South wall has 12 segmental-arched recesses, 2 with doors; the north aisle has a partly-glazed roof, the north wall has 8 arches and two 2/2-pane sash windows to the north-west corner. The west end abutting the Alexandra Theatre has triple semicircular-arched recesses above one similar wide recess and a C20 metal roller shutter, the east end is occupied by a C20 cafe. HISTORY: the site was developed after its purchase from the Rev. Richard Lane by the Wolborough Local Board in 1867. (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 592; Jones R: A Book of Newton Abbot: Callington: 1979-: 56-7).





Listing NGR: SX8586971367

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464441
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, R, A Book of Newton Abbot, (1979), 56-57
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 592

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04475/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Julia K Rich. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].