47, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256905
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1996
Statutory Address:
47, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 47, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 05:20:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
47, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Maldon
National Grid Reference:
TL 85015 07044

Details

MALDON

TL8507SW HIGH STREET 574-1/7/80 (North side) No.47

GV II

Shop with flat. 1893. Red English-bond brick, stone and terracotta dressings, and flank of yellow stocks; machine-made plain tile roof with decorative ridge cresting. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic; single-window range. Attic is faced by Dutch gable with stone coping and with central plain double-hung sash with segmental pediment over forming summit of gable. Either side here are rectangular terracotta plaques with floral ornament. Stories are marked by flush stone bands. A recessed central panel on 1st and 2nd floors has moulded brick edging and ogee curves at the head linking with sill of attic window over. Within this, on 2nd floor, is a terracotta panel inscribed: 'B 1893' and 2 sash windows with moulded brick framing. The 1st floor has a central stone canted bay window with cornice, panelled frieze and moulded surrounds to the plain sash windows which have a central vertical glazing bar. Moulded sill with acanthus scrolls and 2 further terracotta plaques line up with head of bay on each flank. The ground floor has C19 shop front with stone dentilled cornice, timber fascia, and panelled plinths supporting paired columns with fluted bell capitals flanking the opening; central canted door recess and windows have plain glass and decorative glazed panels above transom. INTERIOR: not inspected.



Listing NGR: TL8501507044

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464453
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08984/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].