CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256934
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Dec-1996
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGHWEEK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256934.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 18:14:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGHWEEK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 85654 71425

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8571SE HIGHWEEK STREET 1012-1/13/88 (North East side) 16/07/49 Church of St Mary (Formerly Listed as: HIGH WEEK STREET Church of St Mary and St Mary's Hall)

GV II

Former church, now converted into housing. Mid C15 tower built under the patronage of the Yardes of Bradley Manor, Totnes Road, (qv); flanking additions including St Mary's Church Hall (qv) built 1826; further alterations 1870 by JW Rowell; remodelled 1992. MATERIALS: roughcast over rubble, slate roof. PLAN: plan of former tower, nave and north aisle, with St Mary's Church Hall (qv) attached to the right. EXTERIOR: tower in 3 stages with crenellated parapet, corner buttresses to obelisk finials to diagonal buttresses; flat-headed 2-light louvred belfry openings except a pointed-arched 2-light window with panel tracery; plain second stage; 3-light C19 window with panel tracery over a C19 recessed red sandstone pointed arch to a set-back C20 door. To the left is a pent-roofed aisle with a crenellated parapet, a 3-light window similar to that of the tower over a similar arch and door. INTERIOR: altered. Various features including mid C15 east window of the south aisle were removed in 1904-5 to St Mary Abbotsbury, Waverley Road, (qv).





Listing NGR: SX8565471425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464398
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/04954/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hawkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].