20, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256936
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1971
Statutory Address:
20, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 20, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256936 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 14:19:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
20, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Maldon
National Grid Reference:
TL 84868 07020

Details

MALDON

TL8407SE HIGH STREET 574-1/6/63 (South East side) 24/09/71 No.20

GV II

Shown on OS map as No.18, High Street. Shop and offices. C14, C15, and C16. Timber-framed and rendered with gabled plain tile roofs. Main rectangular block and angled wing at rear. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 2-window range. Front has M-profile roof and 2 flush small-paned sash windows with moulded surrounds. The ground floor has a C19 small shop front of one large glass pane, and large, square small-paned sash window with moulded surround. Rendered plinth. The exposed south-west flank is part-rendered, part-black weatherboarded with C20 plain fixed-light window. Exposed post on north-west corner with mortice for jetty bracket. Rear of the wing has black weatherboarding on gable and upper floor over render. Rendered stack on north-east flank. INTERIOR: the north-eastern half of the main range is a 2-bay cross-wing with jowled posts and widely spaced studs, exposed on 1st floor. Surviving arch braces to tie beam are steeply raked and of remarkably thick section. The south-west girding beam is moulded with a flat and hollow chamfer, probably to former hall. A late C14 date seems probable for this part of the structure. The south-western half of the front range is later and without obvious features, but may incorporate material from former hall. To the rear of this part is a mid C16 timber-frame, exposed on the ground floor. This small rectangular structure has remains of 2 former windows in its north-west face with rectangular mortices for moulded mullions, 2 one side and 3 the other of a moulded chamfered post. Each light has a circular central mortice for iron or timber security bar. The ceiling has moulded joists and moulded spine and bridging joists of 'pointed' sections with flat chamfer between bold bowtells. On the 1st floor, the rear tie beam and an intermediate tie beam, formerly with arch braces, are exposed, with simple octagonal crown posts with low-mounted longitudinal bracing. Those elements probably represent an earlier structure rather than relating to the mid C16 work below. The RCHME mentions beam dated 1597, not now in evidence and perhaps part of a further undetectable phase. (RCHME: Essex Central and South-east: London: 1921-).

Listing NGR: TL8486807020

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464400
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10536/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reginald Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].