This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1256976



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6051NW PATRICK POOL 1112-1/28/851 (South West side) 25/03/50 No.6


Formerly known as: Hall adjoining Young's Building, and immediately south of...St Sampson's Church PATRICK POOL. Warehouse, now shop. c1600; restored c1960. Timber-frame, with infilling of plastered brick tiles, rear underbuilt variously in orange brick in irregular bond; pantile roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 3-bay front, with jettied first and second floors. Shopfront has glazed door in right end bay, recessed between plate glass windows, and 3-light windows with timber mullions, framed in brick, in remaining bays. Windows on first and second floors are of 2 lights, irregularly disposed between exposed ogee-braced studding. Rear: second floor jetty underbuilt on ground and first floors, leaving posts only exposed on first floor, full framing exposed on second floor. Replacement door in ground floor left end bay, 3-light window in middle bay, both beneath timber lintels, and in right end bay small 4-pane fixed light. Each bay on first floor has 2-light window; on second floor, 3-light windows in outer bays. Right return: 3 storeys and gabled attic. Framing exposed on all floors, with 2-light windows on second and attic floors. All windows are casements glazed with square leaded lights. INTERIOR: framing survives intact. Roof is of clasped purlin trusses, with purlins carried on short spurs tenoned to queen struts. Attic floor is of lime ash plaster. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 174).

Listing NGR: SE6040851906

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 174

National Grid Reference: SE 60408 51906


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256976 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:05:56.

End of official listing