This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1256983



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Heybridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Aug-1980

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464364

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL80NE GOLDHANGER ROAD, Heybridge 574-1/2/241 (South side) 18/08/80 Middle Farmhouse


House, formerly farmhouse. C17 and possibly earlier. Timber-framed and rendered with plain tile roofs. EXTERIOR: one storey with attic, and 2-storey cross-wing. Front elevation of cross-wing has gable and a 2-light casement window with one vertical glazing bar in each light. The ground floor has a door with glazed panel and one margin-glazed sash window. The lower, hall, range has one sash window with 3 small and 3 large panes and a C19 door. Plain tiled lean-to on west end. Small stack on ridgeline near cross-wing. The rear elevation shows part of probable former open hall roof, truncated against cross-wing, now modified to cover dormer-like window over stairs. INTERIOR: the cross-wing is of 2 bays, unjettied, with chamfered bridging joist and tapering jowled corner posts. The main range is of A-frame type with 2 bridging joists, one chamfered and one framing stack bay. Wall of small studs exposed to main room. At head of stairs is possible remnant of collar purlin of former open hall. Some areas of old external pargeting. (RCHME: Essex North-east: London: 1922-: 138:6).

Listing NGR: TL8647907801

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922), 138

National Grid Reference: TL 86479 07801


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 01:47:32.

End of official listing