HALL COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256987
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
HALL COTTAGES, 3, HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALL COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:54:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
HALL COTTAGES, 3, HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Heybridge
National Grid Reference:
TL8589507685

Details

TL 80 NE, 574-1/2/244

MALDON, HALL ROAD, Heybridge (south side (off)), No. 3, Hall Cottages

02/10/51

GV

II

House, part formerly barn. Mid to late C14 and C18. Timber-framed and black weatherboarded with plain tile roofs with large C20 red-brick stack.

EXTERIOR: single storey with attic, with 2-storey cross-wing to north. Gabled and jettied cross-wing has two original jetty brackets exposed and a 2-light small-paned horizontal-sliding casement window on first floor and two 6-pane windows on ground floor. Lower range has one hipped dormer with 12-pane horizontal-sliding casement window and two similar windows on 1st floor. Ground floor has one small-paned horizontal-sliding casement window, one 6-pane window and plain door. North flank of cross-wing has one similar window on ground floor. Rear of cross-wing has hipped roof with gablet and large exposed C20 red-brick stack. The first floor has two horizontal-sliding casement windows as front, and a similar window under. Rear of lower range has three hipped dormers, as front in all detail, and ground floor has door and four horizontally proportioned small-paned horizontal-sliding casement windows and a small window. South end gable has a 2-light small-paned horizontal-sliding casement window in gable and a door.

INTERIOR: cross-wing of the mid to late C14 with crown-post roof with very substantial longitudinal braces. Former parlour/solar with door at rear of hall partition and centre-tenoned floor joists. Was originally one room on each floor and central chamfered and cambered tie beam has one surviving heavy brace. One curved wall brace survives and evidence for original windows. Floor was raised up following decay of lower parts, but remains in relocated position. Lower block seems to be former barn of C18 and is of three bays of good quality framing with central (uncut) tie beam with hanging knees. (RCHME: Essex North-east: London: 1922-: 138:4).

Listing NGR: TL8589507685

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464368
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922), 138

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12647/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Judith Kodz. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].