This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NEWTON ABBOT HOSPITAL TEMPLER HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEWTON ABBOT HOSPITAL TEMPLER HOUSE

List entry Number: 1256995

Location

NEWTON ABBOT HOSPITAL TEMPLER HOUSE, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464334

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8671 EAST STREET 1012-1/9/66 (South side) 22/03/83 Newton Abbot Hospital, Templer House (Formerly Listed as: EAST STREET (South side) District Finance office at Newton Abbot Hospital)

GV II

Office to Newton Abbot Hospital. Mid C19. Stucco, slate roof. L-plan. EXTERIOR: single-storey, 4-window range. Clasping pilasters to all angles with moulded tops and plinths, plinth, wide eaves with eaves band, continuous moulded impost band. The gabled 2 ranges to the right step forward, a blind oculus with a moulded architrave and four keystones is over 6/6-pane sash windows with radial glazing bars and Gibb's style blocking to the archivolt, possibly Coade stone. Two 6/6-pane sash windows to the left have stilted segmental arches. The pilasters to the central flat-roofed enclosed porch extend above a cornice and flank a parapet wall. A slightly pedimented projecting hood on brackets is probably late C19 or C20. Segmental arch over 6-panel door with 2 rows of 3 vertical panels. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as being altered, with suspended ceilings. Built as a detached boardroom block to the workhouse of 1836-9.





Listing NGR: SX8617271118

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 86172 71118

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 04:37:44.

End of official listing