This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1257010



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464307

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE5952NW OUSECLIFFE GARDENS 1112-1/6/821 St Hilda's Garth 24/06/83


House, now Family Resource Centre. Built in 1848 for Joseph Munby (solicitor). Yellow brick with stone dressings. Hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: main block symmetrical, of 2 storeys with a 3-bay porch and one bay to each side. The windows are glazing bar sashes. The ground-floor windows of the outer bays have stone panels below their sills. The central window above the porch is blind. At the far left there is a small inserted 1st floor window. The wide ashlar porch has 2 Tuscan columns in antis supporting raised segmental arches. Within the porch there are 2 sashed windows with segmental heads, flanking a doorway with a divided 4-panel door and an overlight with segmental top. The eaves are coved and sprocketed. Chimneys to left and right of centre in front of ridge. At the left there is a one-bay 2-storey link to a servants' wing. The front wall of this wing is of one bay, flanked by pilaster strips and with pivoting windows with glazing bars. INTERIOR: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 69).

Listing NGR: SE5914052733

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 69

National Grid Reference: SE 59140 52733


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257010 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 12:15:52.

End of official listing