NEWTON ABBOT HOSPITAL CENTRAL ENTRANCE BLOCK ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257024
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1983
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Dec-1996
Statutory Address:
NEWTON ABBOT HOSPITAL CENTRAL ENTRANCE BLOCK ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWTON ABBOT HOSPITAL CENTRAL ENTRANCE BLOCK ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257024.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 09:57:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEWTON ABBOT HOSPITAL CENTRAL ENTRANCE BLOCK ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 86138 71110

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8671 EAST STREET 1012-1/9/67 (South side) 22/03/83 Newton Abbot Hospital, central entrance block, attached walls & piers (Formerly Listed as: EAST STREET (South side) Outpatients, Ear, Nose and Throat Clinic ...... Newton Abbot Hospital)

GV II

Carriage arch and flanking buildings to Newton Abbot Hospital. Originally a workhouse range of 1836-1839 by Moffat and Scott. MATERIALS: incised stucco with limestone rubble to the rear, slate roofs hipped to the fronts. PLAN: Three rectangular-plan blocks connected by corridors, with pitched roof to left and mid C20 flat roof to right: entrance flanked by 2-bay links to end blocks, both one storey originally but that to west (right) heightened in late C19. EXTERIOR: one- and 2 storeys; formerly symmetrical, 2 windows to each block and to each corridor. Plinths, eaves bands and impost string courses to the three blocks, which continue on the returns. The central carriage entrance (glazed late C20) has clasping pilasters supporting entablature and pediment over tall semicircular arch with stepped voussoirs. The rear, of rubblestone has a dentil cornice below the pediment. The fronts of the flanking blocks have similar plinths, pilasters, friezes and voussoirs to 2 semicircular-arched 6/6-pane sash windows with radial glazing bars and margin panes. Right-hand block with a wider, similar block attached to the rear, probably raised to 2 storeys later C19, does not have margin panes to the first floor. Similar windows to the returns. The linking corridors are articulated by wide pilasters. Single-storey flat-roofed additions to rear, with similar pedimented feature to entry. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as being altered. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the rear inner corners of the outer blocks are thick rubblestone walls approx 4m high which cant inwards to form a courtyard, meet tall square piers, turn to the rear and slope downwards to approx 1m. The courtyard now has C20 infill. The main workhouse range has been demolished. (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: 586).



Listing NGR: SX8613871110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464321
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 586

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09943/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].