THE DARTMOUTH INN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257072
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
63, EAST STREET, NEWTON ABBOT

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DARTMOUTH INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257072 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 23:22:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
63, EAST STREET, NEWTON ABBOT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 86005 71164

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/02/2016

SX8671 1012-1/9/71

NEWTON ABBOT, EAST STREET (North side), No.63 The Dartmouth Inn

(Formerly listed as No. 61 The Dartmouth Inn EAST STREET (North side))

22/03/83

GV II

Formerly known as: The Great Dane EAST STREET. Public House. Late C17, remodelled early C19. Incised stucco probably over a timber frame, slate roof with double-shafted rubblestone external lateral stack to the rear right and a brick stack to the rear left. PLAN: 2-unit plan and 2 rear wings with C19 gabled roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 2-window range. Early C19 moulded forward frames to 8/8-pane sash windows to the first floor and similar frames to plate-glass sashes to the ground floor. Central door with a hood on brackets. INTERIOR: the stack to the left, in the rear left corner of rear wing has a slightly-arched oak lintel to an open fire. To the rear right of the main block (using the double-shafted stack) is a C19 brick open fire. The former open fire backing onto it is blocked and now a cupboard. Some beams to the right are plastered over. Roof not seen. HISTORY: the inn is said to have been built in 1670.



Listing NGR: SX8600571164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464282
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04475/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Julia K Rich. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].