This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1257075

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Maldon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464242

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL8506NE CHURCH STREET 574-1/10/13 (South side) 02/10/51 Church of St Mary

GV I

Parish church. C12, C14 west tower and north porch; top stage of tower 1636; chancel rebuilt early C19; addition of south aisle and organ chamber and general restoration, 1885, by Frederick Chancellor, Diocesan Surveyor. MATERIALS: rubble flint and septaria with ashlar dressings; red-brick top stage of tower and chancel; plain tiled roofs. PLAN: west tower, nave with north porch, 4-bay south aisle and single-bay chancel with organ chamber to south. EXTERIOR: massive tower of equal width to nave with diagonal east buttresses and angle west buttresses. Some C12 moulded stone built into south-east buttress. C14 west door with similar detailing to south aisle of Church of All Saints, High Street (qv). Moulded arch with vine-trail and hood, jambs with attached shafts with moulded capitals and a foliate band, all very worn. Blocked windows above. Lancets to north and south sides, on the south side the head has been rebuilt in brick. String course of reused billet moulding. Thin red brick top stage with embattled parapet retaining bases of pinnacles. 4-centred bell opening with stubs of former tracery in brick. East wall has small C17 window of two four-centred lights. Timber-boarded polygonal lantern with shingled spire and weathervane. Nave: C12 unbuttressed north wall. A single round-headed slit window to the west, deeply splayed internally with stonework renewed externally. To east of porch a C15 Perpendicular 3-light window under hood. To east, restored C16 three-light square-headed window. Red-brick rood stair chamber under tiled roof, heavily restored, protrudes to east. Wide unbuttressed north porch has pointed entrance arch flanked by pair of trefoil-cusped lights with ferramenta; east lancet incorporating reused stone; blocked light to west; C14 north entrance with reused billet moulding to hood containing C18 doors. Porch re-roofed in clasped purlin form, incorporating earlier moulded tie beams. Embattled parapet to C19 south aisle with Perpendicular-style 3-light windows. 3-light square-headed clerestory window of same date. Chancel: 2-light Perpendicular-style windows. Large east buttress with tumbled-in brickwork. INTERIOR: Perpendicular west door between tower and nave. South arcade has double-chamfered arches on cylindrical piers.

Springing of very tall, wide C12 chancel arch, which was rebuilt in 1885. Rood stairs with upper and lower doors. Roofs all of 1885, that to nave has alternating tie beams and hammerbeams. FITTINGS: C17 pulpit. Good early C18 altar rails with twisted balusters. Font with gadrooned bowl. Paternoster and Credo Boards now on west wall, together with late C19 painted reredos. (RCHME: Essex: 1921-: 175-6; Kelly's Directory: Essex: 1902-: 279).



Listing NGR: TL8569006752

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 175-6
'Kellys Directory' in Essex, (1902), 279

National Grid Reference: TL 85690 06752

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257075 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 06:03:11.

End of official listing