Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257077.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 01:48:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 60047 52089



SE6052SW MUSEUM STREET 1112-1/27/790 (North West side) Central Library


Public and Reference Libraries. 1927, 1938 extension; some later alteration. By Brierley and Rutherford. MATERIALS: red brick in English bond, rusticated on ground floor and with rusticated brick quoins on first floor; moulded stone plinth; ashlar orders; ashlar doorcase, partly rusticated, dressings and cornice. Hipped roofs of Westmorland slate. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-bay projecting centre block flanked by 3-bay angled wings. In centre bay, open pedimented Doric doorcase with triglyph frieze blocks has panelled doubled doors and fanlight in keyed round-arched architrave with moulded imposts: flanking bays have small 1-light windows. Ionic centrepiece on first floor has centre bay recessed behind detached columns, outer bays flanked by antae: full entablature with pulvinated frieze and plain parapet extends on each side. Staircase window in centre is round-arched in eared and keyed architrave with ogee head and moulded stone sill. Outer bays contain round-arched niches with moulded stone sills over brick aprons. Ground floor windows in flanking wings are recessed beneath arcaded triple keyed round arches with moulded impost band. First floor has square-headed windows in triple keyed eared architraves with moulded stone sills and stone aprons. Windows have square lattice leading in bordered metal frames. Left return: 2 storeys and basement; 9-bay wing with projecting end bays. End bays have open pediments supported by Ionic columns on first floor. Square headed basement windows in low plinth. Except in end bays, fenestration detail is repeated from entrance front wings. End bay ground floor windows are square-headed in triple keyed and eared architraves with cornices: those on first floor are round-arched in ogee headed architraves with moulded sills and aprons. Dated rainwater goods in re-entrant angles with end bays have ornate hoppers bearing the City of York badge. INTERIOR: 3-bay entrance lobby with apsidal ends, articulated in Doric pilasters carrying enriched plaster frieze and modillion cornice. Openings are round-arched, the inner ones screened with glazed and panelled doors with fanlights. Staircase openings are square-headed in triple keyed architraves with incised panel reveals. Eared doorcases at each end have pulvinated friezes and cornices. Ceiling pierced in centre by oval light well encircled by richly moulded plaster garland. Imperial staircase to first floor has sunk-panelled stone steps and balustrade of twisted cast-iron balusters and panels of wrought-iron scrollwork. Upper part of

stairwell lined with niches. Moulded panel ceiling has enriched dentilled and modillioned cornice. First floor: stairhead openings are round-arched in ogee-headed architraves. Landing articulated in Ionic order with full entablature. Light well balustrade as for staircase. Above, domed circular lantern glazed in opaque glass is encircled by moulded garland of flowers and leaves. Both main rooms have segmental tunnel vaulted ceilings. Original furniture and fittings including shelving and seating still in use.

Listing NGR: SE6004752089


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06200/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].