FORMER WATERWORKS ENGINE HOUSE AT REAR OF LENDAL HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257085

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: FORMER WATERWORKS ENGINE HOUSE AT REAR OF LENDAL HILL HOUSE, MUSEUM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER WATERWORKS ENGINE HOUSE AT REAR OF LENDAL HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257085 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 23:12:58.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER WATERWORKS ENGINE HOUSE AT REAR OF LENDAL HILL HOUSE, MUSEUM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59984 51988

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5951NE MUSEUM STREET 1112-1/15/794 (North West side) 24/06/83 Former Waterworks Engine house at rear of Lendal Hill House

GV II

Pump engine house, now offices. 1836, converted in 1854; further alteration later. For the York Waterworks Company. MATERIALS: orange-red brick, in Flemish bond on river front, English garden-wall bond elsewhere; stone plinth and dressings: hipped slate roofs, partly glazed, with brick stack. On all sides, openings are recessed in blind arcades of round arches on plain pilasters. EXTERIOR: river front: 1 storey 2 bays. Each bay has round-headed 8-pane sash window. Raised stone eaves band beneath parapet ramped up to central plinth carrying pedestal in the form of chimney stack with stone coped cap. Eaves band and parapet return on both sides. Returns: 1 storey and attic; 6-bay fronts. Left return ground floor has 12-pane sash windows, one blind in right of centre bay, all with stone sills; openings to right have cambered brick arches, to left segmental brick arches. Attic has radial glazed light in round brick arch in left of centre bay; elsewhere squat blind openings with cambered brick arches: all have stone sills. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was constructed to house the waterworks pump engine, built by Joseph Smeaton in 1784. The engine was removed to new works at Acomb Landing c1850 after which the engine house was converted to office use. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 166).

Listing NGR: SE5998451988

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464252

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 166

End of official listing