Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257086.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 11:50:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 59991 51959



SE5951NE MUSEUM STREET 1112-1/15/792 (North West side) 14/06/54 Lendal Tower


Defensive tower converted for use as water tower, now used as offices. c1300; heightened 1616, strengthened and extended c1677; altered for offices c1846; refitted 1932. Magnesian limestone, much re-used and including carved fragments of canopy, finial and other mouldings from the ruins of St Mary's Abbey (qqv): roof not visible but said to be of copper. EXTERIOR: 3-stage circular tower with extruded circular stair tower, on chamfered plinth; 3-storey extension. All parts are embattled. Tower entered through Lendal Hill House (qv): unused C19 shouldered doorway with panelled double doors survives in extension. Blocked slit lights are visible on ground floor of both towers: 1- and 2-light windows elsewhere in chamfered openings with chamfered mullions. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record brick partition wall on the lower storeys retaining evidence of engine housings; wooden spiral staircase in stair tower; rooms on first and second floors fitted with panelling. HISTORICAL NOTE: the tower was leased to the Waterworks Company by the York Corporation in 1677 for 500 years in return for a peppercorn rent, still paid annually by the Company in 1994. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 108).

Listing NGR: SE5999151959


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York II Defences, (1972), 108


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03719/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].