CISTERN HOUSE AT NGR TL 8460 0732 IN GARDEN OF ORCHARD HOUSE (HOUSE NOT INCLUDED)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257097

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1996

Statutory Address: CISTERN HOUSE AT NGR TL 8460 0732 IN GARDEN OF ORCHARD HOUSE (HOUSE NOT INCLUDED), BEELEIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CISTERN HOUSE AT NGR TL 8460 0732 IN GARDEN OF ORCHARD HOUSE (HOUSE NOT INCLUDED)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 12:16:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CISTERN HOUSE AT NGR TL 8460 0732 IN GARDEN OF ORCHARD HOUSE (HOUSE NOT INCLUDED), BEELEIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Maldon

National Grid Reference: TL 84600 07320

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL8407SE BEELEIGH ROAD 574-1/6/8 (South East side) 24/09/71 Cistern house at NGR TL 8460 0732 in garden of Orchard House (house not incl) (Formerly Listed as: BEELEIGH ROAD Well House in garden of Little Orchards)

II

Cistern house. 1587 and 1805. Red header-bond brick with Roman cement-rendered dome. Circular brick structure with narrow entrance door, enclosing water cistern. Over the door is a stone lintel with panel inscribed 'REBUILT BY SUBSCRIPTION 1805' in Roman letters. HISTORY: this is surviving remnant of public water supply provided by Thomas Cannock in 1587. The cistern is fed by a spring, to the south, the water then fed via lead pipe to the pump in Cromwell Hill (qv). The cistern also has an overflow into an adjacent artificial pond and via an overflow pipe to the river below.



Listing NGR: TL8460007320

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464222

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing