Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257106.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 10:30:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 60118 52066



SE6052SW MUSEUM STREET 1112-1/27/785 (South East side) 08/10/86 No.1


Register office, now Council offices. 1860 with later alterations. By Rawlins Gould. Orange brick in Flemish bond with moulded stone plinth and dressings; rusticated pilaster strips of faceted blocks on ground floor, ashlar pilasters on first floor: brick parapet with stone piers and coping to slate roof; brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 11-bay front, with curved corner bay. Main entrance has round-arched doorcase of 2 orders with sunk-panel pilasters, vermiculated keyblock and panelled double doors with fanlight. Subsidiary entrance at right end has panelled double doors with overlight in eared segment-arched architrave. Windows are segment-headed, in architraves with bracketed moulded sills, set in shallow segment-arched recesses with vermiculated keyblocks: several original 8-pane sashes altered. Ground floor pilaster strips support moulded cornice. First floor articulated in Doric pilasters on sunk- panel pedestals supporting broad frieze and ornate console-bracket cornice: above is open-arcaded parapet incorporating sunk-panel pedestal piers. Generally windows are 4-pane sashes, in stone architraves with moulded sills and cornices, beneath alternately triangular and segmental bracketed pediments. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE6012152067


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04546/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].