This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

3, MUSEUM STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 3, MUSEUM STREET

List entry Number: 1257111

Location

3, MUSEUM STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464236

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW MUSEUM STREET 1112-1/27/787 (South East side) 24/01/78 No.3

GV II

Formerly known as: Ruins of St Leonard's Hospital MUSEUM GARDENS. House, later hotel now restaurant. Early C18 with later alterations. Buff-brown brick in Flemish bond on painted rendered plinth; timber doorcase, first floor band and boxed guttering; Roman pantile roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front. Wide doorcase of fluted Doric columns with triglyph frieze blocks and dentilled segmental pediment: double doors and overlight flanked by narrow 1-pane sashes of late C19 coloured glass set in screen of glazed brick: tympanum filled with moulded figures in foliage and cartouche announcing "THOMAS' HOTEL". Panelled passage door at left end has blocked overlight and bracketed cornice hood. All windows are 1-pane sashes diminishing in height on each floor above, with painted stone sills and flat arches of gauged brick. Moulded first floor band; 2-course raised brick band to second floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase with bulbous balusters, and several original panel doors. Remaining fittings mostly C19. HISTORICAL NOTE: house formed part of Ettridge's Royal Hotel from c1800 and became known as Thomas' Hotel after 1858 when it was purchased by William Thomas. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 167; Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 84).



Listing NGR: SE6010652057

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 167
Murray, H, Riddick, S, Green, R, York Through the Eyes of the Artist, (1990), 84

National Grid Reference: SE 60106 52057

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257111 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 05:56:15.

End of official listing