RAILINGS AND GATES FORMING SOUTH WEST BOUNDARY OF MUSEUM GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257125
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
RAILINGS AND GATES FORMING SOUTH WEST BOUNDARY OF MUSEUM GARDENS, MUSEUM GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAILINGS AND GATES FORMING SOUTH WEST BOUNDARY OF MUSEUM GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257125 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 00:36:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAILINGS AND GATES FORMING SOUTH WEST BOUNDARY OF MUSEUM GARDENS, MUSEUM GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59769 52051

Details

YORK

SE5952SE MUSEUM GARDENS 1112-1/12/777 Railings and gates forming 31/01/73 south-west boundary of Museum Gardens (Formerly Listed as: THE ESPLANADE Boundary fence and gates on south side of Museum Gardens)

GV II

Railings with carriage and foot gates forming south-west boundary of Museum Gardens. 1844. By the John Walker foundry. Cast-iron gates and railings; stone piers and wall. Piers approximately 1.25 metres high with tapering chamfered sides and domed caps. Railings raised on low wall with flat coping, approximately 0.33 metre high. Square section railings are set diagonally: carriage gates towards left end and foot gate at right end of similar railings, carriage gates strengthened by single curving braces. Iron plaques cast with the City of York arms attached to 6 piers. (Murray H: Heraldry and the Buildings of York: York: 1985-: 5, 59).



Listing NGR: SE5977252050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464208
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Murray, H , Heraldry and the Buildings of York, (1985), 5, 59

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04546/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].