ST MARYS ABBEY REMAINS HOSPITIUM AND WATERGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1257129
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
ST MARYS ABBEY REMAINS HOSPITIUM AND WATERGATE, MUSEUM GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARYS ABBEY REMAINS HOSPITIUM AND WATERGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257129 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 17:09:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARYS ABBEY REMAINS HOSPITIUM AND WATERGATE, MUSEUM GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59846 52065

Details

YORK

SE5952SE MUSEUM GARDENS 1112-1/12/779 St Mary's Abbey remains: Hospitium 14/06/54 and Watergate (Formerly Listed as: MUSEUM GARDENS The Hospitium and Water Gate)

GV II*

Possible Abbey guesthouse and watergate attached to north-east corner; now part of The Yorkshire Museum (qv). Lower storey of house C14, upper storey C15, partly reconstructed and heavily restored 1930-31: gateway c1500. MATERIALS: lower storey of hospitium of magnesian limestone ashlar on chamfered plinth; upper storey timber-framed with rendered infilling; plain tile roof. Gateway of re-used magnesian limestone, inner face of upper storey of orange wall-tiles: unroofed. 6-bay hall and aisled undercroft. EXTERIOR: Hospitium: 2-storey 6-bay front, with exposed timber-frame to hall. Undercroft has rebuilt double chamfered doorway with plank double doors on iron strap hinges in 2-centred moulded arch. Windows to left are single slits in chamfered openings, to right of 2 lights in double chamfered openings. Access to hall by reconstructed external staircase to 2-centred timber doorway with double doors on C-hinges. Windows are of 4 lights. River front: repeats main front without doors. To left return, undercroft has three slit lights, hall 3-light window flanked by 1-light windows: to right return, three 2-light windows to undercroft, to hall 2-light outer windows, 5-light centre window. All multi-light windows to undercroft have chamfered stone mullions: to hall, timber mullions. Watergate: incorporated in wall approximately 8 metres long, between 6.5 and 7.5 metres high on chamfered plinth, stepped up at left end. Cart arch is 2 centred, of 2 moulded and chamfered orders beneath coved hoodmould: smaller foot-gate to left is similar: both are rebated on inner side. Further left is decayed square-headed window opening. On first floor two square-headed windows of 2 trefoiled lights, one now fragmentary. INTERIOR: of Hospitium: two colonnades of octagonal columns with moulded bases and capitals support hall floor. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 13-14).





Listing NGR: SE5983852070

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464212
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 13-14

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04546/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].