Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257141.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2020 at 21:06:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59249 50765



SE5950NW MOUNT VALE 1112-1/24/768 (South East side) 24/06/83 Nos.147-153 (Odd) Newington Hotel


Four houses, now hotel. 1823 (Nos 149 & 151) and 1827 (No.147), with C19 and C20 alterations. Brick with slate roofs, except for No.147 which has a concrete tile roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attics and cellars. 3 of the former houses, of 2 bays each, face Mount Vale. No.147 is taller than the other houses. The windows are sashed without glazing bars and have rusticated stone lintels. The ground-floor windows of No.151 have C20 louvred shutters. No.147 has a C20 flat-roofed dormer, and No.149 a large C20 slate-hung dormer above the cornice. The basement of No.151 is lit by a large C20 window. Nos 147 and 149 have doorcases in their right-hand bays, with engaged fluted Doric columns and with triglyph frieze blocks above their capitals. The doors have 6 raised and fielded panels, and the fanlights are glazed in a petal pattern. Modillioned gutter cornices. Chimneys to the left of each former house. The right-hand return wall, facing south-west, is of 6 bays and includes the entrance to No.151, which has a pilaster doorcase with a cornice which is pitched to form a pediment. Towards the right there is a C20 entrance porch to No.153. INTERIOR: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 128).

Listing NGR: SE5924950765


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 128


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04963/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].