LITTLE BEELEIGH FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257145
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
LITTLE BEELEIGH FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE BEELEIGH FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:57:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
LITTLE BEELEIGH FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Maldon
National Grid Reference:
TL 83032 07285

Details

MALDON

TL80NW BEELEIGH 574-1/1/223 Little Beeleigh Farmhouse 02/10/51

GV II

House, former farmhouse. C15, C16 and C17. Timber-framed and rendered, some brick; with plain tile roofs and small off-centre ridgeline stack. PLAN: U-shaped complex with main north/south range, hipped to the north and half-hipped to south. Cross-wing at north end returns to gable at west and single-storey block at south end of main range with gabled slate roof behind parapet; 2-storey block to west of this has gable to east and is hipped to west and continuing down as catslide over single-storey part. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics and cellar. East front is jettied with moulded bressumer and 2 original carved jetty brackets. The timber-frame is exposed here with 4 small-paned sash windows on the 1st floor. The ground floor has 2 similar windows and a canted bay window with small-paned sash windows and an off-centre door of 6 raised-and-fielded panels with moulded architrave. Exposed timbers indicate a number of former oriel windows, on each floor, frieze windows (some with moulded mullions) and site of former 2-storey projecting porch in front of cross passage. Single-storey extension at S end of Flemish-bond brick with a decorative parapet and small pointed-arched Gothick window, door with segmental head and sash window. The rear elevation has 2 door openings, C19 and C20 sash windows and casements and part of frame exposed on rear of south-west block. INTERIOR: reveals that northern cross-wing is mid C15 and of 2 bays, truncated to E as part of later works. A mid C16 long wall jetty structure adjoins, with 2-bay hall/great chamber, service bay of 2 rooms to S with small chamber over. The service doors were separated by a panel of studwork. Structure has jowled posts and crown-post roof with thin cranked longitudinal braces to collar purlin. SW block a truncated, 2-storey structure of mid C17 with good quality framing. Spine beam and bridging joists, on ground floor have ogee chamfers and similar above have stopped quadrant chamfers. Probably a kitchen/utility block. Floor of Flemish yellow floor bricks relaid C20. Early C19 staircase, doors and architraves and typical fire surround with roundels over pilasters. N ground-floor room has some C17 panelling. Numerous C17 and C18 doors with contemporary ironwork. (RCHME: Essex Central and South-west: 1921-: 181:5).

Listing NGR: TL8303207285

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464186
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 181

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10535/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reginald Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].