48, MONKGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257180
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1971
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
48, MONKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 48, MONKGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 05:02:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
48, MONKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60730 52373

Details

YORK

SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/742 (South East side) 19/08/71 No.48 (Formerly Listed as: MONKGATE Nos.46 AND 48)

GV II

House, now shop and offices. c1770, altered early C19 and late C19. Heightened by one storey, probably in C20. Brick in Flemish bond. Roof hidden by parapet. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 2 bays. The windows to the upper storeys are sashed. On the 1st floor they have brick flat arches and on the 2nd floor brick soldier courses. On the ground floor there is a late C19 timber shopfront with pilasters, fluted brackets, fascia and cornice. To its right is an early C19 pilaster doorcase with a 4-panel door and plain overlight. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: this house was built as half of a symmetrical pair with No.46 (qv). These properties were purchased by Thomas Beckwith, painter, in 1768 and built soon afterwards. Included for group value as an integral part of the streetscape on Monkgate. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: P.91).

Listing NGR: SE6073852376

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464136
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 91

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].