TAP AND SPILE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257200

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: TAP AND SPILE PUBLIC HOUSE, 29, MONKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TAP AND SPILE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257200 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:24:54.

Location

Statutory Address: TAP AND SPILE PUBLIC HOUSE, 29, MONKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60658 52360

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/730 (North West side) 24/06/83 No.29 Tap and Spile Public House (Formerly Listed as: MONKGATE No.29 Black Horse Public Horse [sic])

II

Public house. 1897. By WG Penty for John Hunt's Brewery. Red brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings. Plain tile roof. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic. The gabled front facade has painted stone bands at lintel height on the ground and first floors, the upper one a moulded drip course. The attic window has lintel and sill bands. The gable coping is stepped, with 2 volutes at each side. Below a central open pediment is a plaque inscribed 'AD 1897'. The windows have leaded lights and ovolo-moulded mullions. The ground-floor window is of 6 lights with a transom. On the 1st floor there are 2 windows, each of 3 lights with a transom. Between them is a tablet with the relief figures of 2 cherubs with grapes and the inscription 'Black Horse Inn'. The attic has a 4-light mullioned window. The doorway, at the left, has a round arch with ogee hood mould and recessed doors. At the left there is a rainwater downpipe with a hopper dated '1897'. Chimney on right-hand return wall. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 81).

Listing NGR: SE6065852360

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464114

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing