37, MONKGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257205

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: 37, MONKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 37, MONKGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:26:09.

Location

Statutory Address: 37, MONKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60693 52403

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/734 (North West side) 14/06/54 No.37

GV II

House, now offices. c1847 with remains dating from 1794. Probably by GT Andrews for Joseph Buckle. Brick in Flemish bond with stone plinth and some painted stone dressings. Hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 and 4 storeys. The Monkgate facade is divided into 2 by giant pilasters with stone bases and caps, which rise from a 1st floor sill band. It has a stone plinth and a moulded gutter cornice. The right-hand half of the facade is a remodelling of the 1794 building and is of 4 storeys with 2 glazing bar sash windows on each floor. The 2nd floor windows have a sill band. The left-hand half of the facade is of 3 storeys and has one glazing bar sash window to each upper floor and a 2nd floor sill band. On the ground floor there is a painted stone doorway with flanking lights under an entablature with a central pediment, carried on pilasters. The plain piers to each side of the door formerly had Ionic columns. The door has 4 panels and the rectangular overlight is divided into 3 panes. Chimneys near centre of ridge and in front of ridge at right. The left-hand return facade is of 3 storeys plus attic and 5 bays, divided into 3 panels by pilaster strips. It includes a central round-headed stair window rising through the ground and first floors. INTERIOR: RCHM records entrance hall, now partitioned, has Ionic columned screen and stone staircase with ornate cast-iron balustrade with moulded wooden handrail c1847. Secondary stair c1794. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 263; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 88).



Listing NGR: SE6069352403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464119

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 88
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 263

End of official listing