Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257207.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2021 at 02:31:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 60703 52343



SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/735 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.38 Middleton House


Formerly known as: No.38 St Maurice's Rectory MONKGATE. House. c1700, altered c1780 and early C19. Brick in Flemish bond. Plain tiled roof. EXTERIOR: main building symmetrical, of 3 storeys (originally 2 storeys) and 5 bays. The central bay projects slightly and the facade has 2 brick storey bands and a modillioned gutter cornice. The windows are glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick flat arches. The stucco doorcase has rusticated pilasters, a lintel with false voussoirs, and a modillion cornice. The overlight has lozenge-pattern glazing and the door has 6 raised and fielded panels. The gables are coped, with a chimney at the right-hand end of the ridge. To the left there is a 2-storey wing with a pantiled roof behind a parapet. On the ground floor it has an elliptical rubbed brick carriage arch with stone impost blocks and a keystone. Recessed within the opening there is a C20 brick wall with a glazing bar sash window. To the right of the archway there is a glazing bar sash window matching those to the main house, and on the 1st floor there is a similar window in an altered opening. INTERIOR: RCHM records a fine original staircase with twisted balusters to the lowest flight, and with bulbous turned balusters to upper floors, all with square newels and a moulded and ramped handrail. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1798, the house was bought by the Rev. Charles Wellbeloved. In 1803 he became Principal of Manchester College, a dissenting academy which moved to York from Manchester in that year and was accommodated in his house until 1811. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 89).

Listing NGR: SE6070352343


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 89


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02003/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.