This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1257209



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464123

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SX8472 CHURCH PATH, Highweek 1012-1/7/163 (East side) 16/07/49 Parish Church of All Saints


Parish Church. C15 (consecrated 1428); restored late C19, chancel rebuilt and extended in 1892; south aisle lengthened in 1892. MATERIALS: limestone rubble, mostly rendered, separate C20 crested slate roofs to nave and aisles. PLAN: aisled nave with chancel, south porch and west tower. EXTERIOR: moulded kneelers to copings of gable parapets. The C19 chancel has a 5-light window with geometric tracery, and a C19 parapeted vestry to the north-east corner with lancet windows and semicircular doorway. The rendered north aisle has 3 irregularly-spaced 3-light C15 windows with panel tracery; 2 pointed-arched doors, one blocked. South side has 3-light Perpendicular-style east window to late C19 chapel; from east on aisle are 3-light late C19 Perpendicular-style window, 3 reset late C18 memorial tablets, 3 granite C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows and roll-moulded architrave to basket-arched window over moulded 4-centred arched doorway. The west tower, rendered, battlemented, with offset diagonal buttresses up to the parapet, is in 3 stages. The third stage has label moulds over paired Tudor-arched louvres, the second stage is plain and the first stage has a loophole above a 3-light window of 2 pointed-arched lights flanking a central flat-arched light all set in an unmoulded Tudor arch. Below is a small plain chamfered pointed arch, probably C15 over C19 double doors. The south porch forms the west bay of the south aisle. INTERIOR: chancel has Ten Commandments flanking east window and C19 side arches including trefoil-headed 3-bay recess. 4-bay nave has granite Pevsner A-type columns with moulded arches to south and B-type columns with chamfered arches of 2 orders to north. Restored C15 wagon roofs to aisles, with moulded ribs and foliate bosses; nave roof rebuilt C19. C15 font with tracery patterns on pillar and bowl. FITTINGS: plain late C19 pews and wrought-iron altar rail and brass eagle lectern. MEMORIALS: include Walter Wemyss Leslie, d1863, by Pickering of Carlisle and Elizabeth Hocombe d1780 with urn in bracketed pediment and black marble tablet. STAINED GLASS: late C19 stained glass, except some medieval stained glass to the top of a north window. HISTORY: the church was a chapel of ease until 1864. (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 584).

Listing NGR: SX8514772090

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 584

National Grid Reference: SX 85145 72092


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257209 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 10:24:53.

End of official listing