MONKGATE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257217
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
MONKGATE HOUSE, 44, MONKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONKGATE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257217.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 08:27:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONKGATE HOUSE, 44, MONKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60721 52365

Details

YORK

SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/739 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.44 Monkgate House

GV II

House, now offices. Built shortly after 1723; altered 1827 and c1835. Alterations of 1827 for George Hudson. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone and stucco dressings. Pantiled roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. 4 bays. Facade has stone plinth, painted stone 1st floor sill band with a brick band below, and a timber cornice gutter. The windows are glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick flat arches. The attic dormer has a pitched roof and 6-pane sash. On the ground floor a doorway of early C19 date occupies the 2 right-hand bays. It has a painted stone or stucco surround with Tuscan pilasters and a cornice. The door has an architrave and flanking lights and has 6 panels and an overlight. Ridge chimney at left. INTERIOR: open well staircase with cast-iron balustrade of geometric panels and serpentine handrail. A plaque records that George Hudson MP 1800-1871 lived here. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 90).

Listing NGR: SE6072152361

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464131
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 90

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02003/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].