MINSTER SONG SCHOOL (PART)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257259

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: MINSTER SONG SCHOOL (PART), 8 AND 9, MINSTER YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINSTER SONG SCHOOL (PART)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 16:56:50.

Location

Statutory Address: MINSTER SONG SCHOOL (PART), 8 AND 9, MINSTER YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60341 52103

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW MINSTER YARD 1112-1/27/712 (South West side) 14/06/54 Nos.8 AND 9 Minster Song School (part)

GV II

Formerly known as: The Minster Chamber MINSTER YARD. Pair of houses, now part of school. 1837 with later alteration and extension. By JP Pritchett for the Dean and Chapter: staircase ironwork by the Walker Foundry. Limestone ashlar with extensions of orange-grey brick and slate roofs: ashlar octagonal stacks, tripled at right gable end, with moulded caps: brick stacks at rear. STYLE: Gothick. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellars; 7-bay front terminating in embattled octagonal turrets. Centre bay is gabled and flanked by 2-stage buttresses. Cellar openings in moulded and chamfered plinth. Centre left and right bays have doorways with 4-centred heads and plain board doors with overlights of paired cinquefoiled lights. All ground floor windows are square-headed with sloped sills, and of 3 cinquefoiled lights. First floor centre window is of two tiers of 3 cinquefoiled lights in traceried 2-centred head. Other first floor windows similar to those on ground floor, but of 2 lights. All openings are double hollow chamfered and have coved hoodmoulds with return stops. Coved string courses at first floor and eaves levels encircle turrets and return to left and right. Embattled parapet with moulded coping. Left and right returns: ground and first floor windows correspond with those on front. Right return has 3-light plain window to cellar. Attics have 2-centred window openings, with paired pointed lights in left return, single light beneath coved hood in right return. INTERIORS: staircase in No.8 has cast-iron balustrade of traceried panels: in No.9 balustrade of vine scrolls. Both houses retain 'Gothick'-style fireplaces, with castellated surrounds, tracery panelled jambs or quatrefoiled friezes. Several plaster cornices and ceilings survive, including entrance passage and hall in No.9. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 165).





Listing NGR: SE6034252104

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464089

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 165

End of official listing