Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257269.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2021 at 13:54:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 59771 51472



SE5951SE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/20/684 (South West side) 24/06/83 No.129 The Bar Hotel


House, now public house. 1861, converted 1865. Pink and cream mottled brick, front in Flemish bond, ground floor painted; plinth and sill bands of painted stone; timber modillion eaves cornice, returned at each end; slate roof with brick stacks and 3-light window in flat dormer. Central entrance plan. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with cellars and attic; 3-window front. Barred cellar windows in plinth flank entrance steps. Panelled double doors and tall overlight recessed in pilastered doorcase with segmental pediment. Windows are 4-pane sashes, those flanking entrance set in tall rectangular niches. Windows on ground floor have sills, on first and second floors raised sill bands; all have flat arches of brick. Rear: windows are 12-pane sashes. Left return: tall elliptical-arched doorway altered to C20 window. Right return: first floor entrance, reached by steps in adjacent City walls (qqv), has C20 glazed door and screen beneath original flat arch. Round-arched radial-glazed sash window above, and paired 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills and flat arches to attic. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 41).

Listing NGR: SE5977351467


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04195/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].