- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- 136, MICKLEGATE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257270.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 12:07:07.
- Statutory Address:
- 136, MICKLEGATE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- York (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 59787 51532
SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/685 (North side) 19/08/71 No.136
Formerly known as: Nos.134 AND 136 MICKLEGATE. Town house. 1740, refronted c1900; C20 shopfront. For Thomas Brown of Middlethorpe. MATERIALS: front and left side of red brick in English garden wall bond, rendered between shopfront and first floor; timber eaves band at front and brick modillion cornice to left side. Tile and pantile roof, hipped at front, M-shaped at rear, with brick-coped parapet masking the valley. Brick stack. PLAN: town house plan with rear staircase hall. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Shopfront continued from Nos 128-132 adjacent (qv): at left end is recessed door, possibly original behind later boarding, approached by steps. In centre of first floor is 3-light canted bay window with prominent dentilled cornice and 1-pane centre sash over panelled riser. All remaining windows are 1-pane sashes, those on second floor having painted sills: all, except bay window, have cambered heads beneath flat arches. Raised brick band of 3 stepped courses at second floor level. Fluted inverted bell rainwater head to left of centre window. Rear: 3 storeys and attic; twin-gabled, 3-window wing. Ground floor partly blocked by later outbuilding: two boarded-up windows to left. On first floor, round-arched staircase window at right end is encroached upon by later outbuilding; to left, two original 15-pane sashes. Second floor windows 1-pane sashes, with 2-light casement to attic. All windows have flat arches of gauged brick. Raised brick bands to all floors. INTERIOR: ground floor: entrance hall and stairhall have moulded ceiling cornices enriched with egg-and-dart mouldings. Moulded round stairhall arch on plain pilaster responds with moulded imposts and bases, bases extended into moulded skirting. Both ground floor rooms (incorporated into shop at Nos 128-132, qv) have modillion cornices, and front room plaster-moulded ceiling. Main staircase is cantilevered and rises to first floor, having slender column balusters, two to a tread, and serpentine moulded handrail, wreathed at foot around enriched turned newel on shaped curtail step. Radial-glazed staircase window in moulded round arch on Composite pilasters, lower part altered to doorway with 6-panel door. Moulded dado rail. First floor: moulded round arch on landing, similar to ground floor stairhall arch. Front floor has heavy moulded cornice and raised and fielded dado panelling beneath moulded dado rail. Secondary staircase to attics has close string, thick turned balusters, square newels and flat moulded handrail, attic flights closed off.
Second floor: most doors are of 2 panels on L-hinges. Front room has heavy moulded cornice, and square fireplace with moulded stone surround. Attic not inspected but RCHM record 2-panel doors, gypsum plaster floors and original roof timbers. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 95).
Listing NGR: SE5975251527
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 95
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing