- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- 67, MICKLEGATE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257308 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 20:35:20.
- Statutory Address:
- 67, MICKLEGATE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- York (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 59923 51610
SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/657 (South side) 14/06/54 No.67
House. Mid C16, refronted and altered in early C18; early C19 parapet and extension; C20 shopfront. MATERIALS: original building timber-framed; front of brick, some in stretcher bond, some Flemish bond, now painted; stone coped parapet to pantile roof with brick stacks. Originally L-shaped on plan, with front range of 2 unequal bays, 2-bays deep, and short rear wing at right rear; rear wing extended and angle between wing and front range infilled. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Shopfront of reeded pilasters and cornice with glazed door recessed between half-canted plate glass windows. 12-pane sash windows on first floor; two windows only on second floor, 16-pane sash to right and 12-pane sash to left: 12-pane sashes have exposed box frames and heavy glazing bars. All windows have flat arches and painted stone sills. 3-course raised band to second floor. At right end of parapet, inverted bell shaped rainwater head dated 1763, with fall pipe on rosette clamps. Rear: wing of 2 storeys and attic. INTERIOR: part of early C18 front staircase survives on ground floor, with close string, turned balusters and flat, moulded handrail. In rear extension, small round-headed window to back staircase survives. In first floor front room, cross beam and two spine beams are exposed; original floor joists, underdrawn in front room, are visible beyond C20 partition. Part of original studded rear wall visible on landing. In rear extension, two rooms have duck-nest firegrates, one in painted stone fireplace with moulded architrave, plain frieze and moulded mantelshelf. Lower flight of back staircase to attic removed but dado rail moulded with bead and reel motif survives; upper flight partly boarded-in. Second floor of front range divided by studded partition wall probably retaining original infilling beneath cross beam, and incorporating board door adjacent to front wall. In studded wall at rear of larger room, corner posts with jowled heads are visible, and blocked 2-light window. Spine beams are exposed in both rooms, and smaller room has exposed ceiling joists. In larger room, fireplace with cambered brick arch exposed behind later chimneypiece with reeded jambs, plain frieze and moulded shelf, contains late C18 oven and grate. Embedded in rear wall of front staircase, half a kerb principal roof truss is visible: second half visible in attic of rear wing behind chimney stack. In rear extension, upper flight of back staircase with stick balusters, square newels and shaped handrail is retained. Rear wing and extension reroofed with collar trusses.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 79).
Listing NGR: SE5992351607
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 79
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing